Friday, September 18, 2009

stars procreate. and tonight there was a love-fest.

This evening while driving down the big sur coast and merrily jamming to some irie tunes, i couldn't help but indulge the impulse to veer off the paved highway into one of the car-trodden vistas and step out onto the coastal cliffs.

Imagine a sky of inky blue-black, absolutely overwhelmed with what seemed to be an entire universe of stars of varying sizes and luminosity.

Standing with my back to the road and not another human for miles, i faced the direction in which the pacific looms and allowed my head to fall back.

My eyes could not possibly seem to open wide enough to attain a steady visual of what was above me.

There was not a whisper of wind, nor the hum of a single automobile for miles around. as i stood, opened-mouthed and dry-eyed, i listened to water befalling a shoreline below and i knew i was above fullers.

Although an accurate estimate of the time i spent with my eyes to the sky and my chest to the sea eludes me, a measurement i will cite with confidence is that in all my life, i have failed to find a fair comparison the profound beauty that dwells in the vast, yet accessible wilderness that comprises the big sur region.

It seems that every occasion in which i am lucky enough to visit this place again, i think of every person in my life that i have any kind of love for, and how i hope that some day they will venture to the same places i have and experience the same speechless wonderment that i did tonight.

Next time you're there, pull your car off the road, and look up.

1 comment: